Still a boring 129.4…
As the weekend stretches out before me and I contemplate which day I should visit Dairy Queen (and I am visiting Dairy Queen because…well…it’s there…) to enjoy a small, chocolate sundae…this random thought raced through my brain…
How many of us…who are trying to lose a few unwanted pounds (BTW…are there any ‘wanted‘ pounds?)…have sat in a doctor’s office for our annual exam, filling out those stupid forms…and have come to this question…
“Have you had any unexplained weight loss in the past 6 months?”
And you thought…with perhaps a small smirk on your face…or maybe even said out loud…very quietly to no one in particular…”I wish.”
Have a nice day…
Still rocking 129.4…!!!
and I had a thought today…
Let’s just say I was walking down the street and someone (a man) would come up to me and say, “Hey, good looking…what’s your favorite season of the year?”
Okay…the whole “hey, good looking” thing probably wouldn’t happen…but the question of favorite season just might…so…I’ll continue…
“Hey, good looking…: (You didn’t think I was going to let that go, did you?)…tell me your favorite season.”
AND…I would say…
“Well, thank you for asking, kind sir. As you are aware…I live in Minnesota. It is September 15 and I was just told the weather forecast for tomorrow has a “heat alert watch” wrapped around it…I almost threw up.”
“I just watched my Vikings football team lose to Green Bay today. I don’t want to think about having heat stroke in the middle of September!”
“I want to think of crisp mornings, chilly nights and brisk walks…wearing the new clothes I have recently purchased because I have lost so much weight!!! AND…I don’t want to sweat anymore. ”
Answer to the question: It isn’t summer.
Have a nice day…
What can I say?
Apparently the “world” is not up to me even contemplating some form of exercise other than…walking, strolling, sauntering, meandering in a line…you get the picture.
Good for you “world”.
Have a nice day…
NO “bleeping” CHANGE…
I could have said NO fucking CHANGE…but I thought I would refrain from bold, blue obscenities.
Here’s the deal: IF I HAVE TO START JOGGING AT AGE 75…THE WORLD IS GOING TO HEAR ABOUT IT!! And I am not even kidding.
OK? Just saying. I am warning you world. I don’t like the concept of jogging. I have NEVER liked the concept of jogging. I probably don’t even know HOW to jog…is it like running? Only slower? See…don’t know, care less.
Today is September 9, 2019 and my goal is to weigh 125 pounds by … what did I say????… end of October??? Okay. It was November 1. Grrrrrr…….
Tomorrow I walk A LITTLE MORE…That’s the best I can do…right now.
Have a nice day…
P.S. I am basically a calm, happy person…
Had to tell someone…
My 78 year old husband and I live in a good sized apartment…open living room, dining room and kitchen concept.
I had been putting away groceries and he was watching TV (duh).
But then I walked into my bedroom to do…whatever…not important… and I hear his voice calling, “Tina?”
I walked out into the living room and said, “Did you want something?”
“Oh. I knew you were putting away groceries but then it got real quiet.”
Him: “I wanted to know if you were dead…so I wouldn’t trip over you.”
A note before I begin: I’ve been poking around “weight-loss” and “dieting” blogs and I found out that a lot of people suggest that “just eating less” won’t do it…you have to do a lot of other stuff to lose weight…plus you are going to be hungry and not feel satisfied. Here is what I say: Do you want to lose weight or not? Okay, I’m done.
- I love to cook, so I wasn’t going to stop cooking my fantastic food and buy crap “diet food”. So…I just put a little less of everything on my plate…every single night…except when I made pizza…or we had pizza delivered. For every rule there should be one exception and this is the one I’m making. I think this equals god mental health…I think. I also think I really love pizza.
- I love sugar with my coffee…so I just put a little less in my cup.
- When my beloved furry friend, LuLu the Cat, died in 2015…I started to have a whole Hershey bar…every night after dinner for dessert. I stopped doing that.
- I have 1/2 to 1 whole can of 3.2 beer with my dinner every night. (NOT Lite.)
- I stopped making popcorn with butter every night. Now I have it once a week. At first it was really hard but then I discovered popsicles! I have 2 (halves) after dinner every night.
- I really look at my plate when I am putting food on it. I mean…really look at it. I now know exactly when I should stop ladling the gravy over my mashed potatoes…about 2 ladles does it.
- If we are eating a food that has pieces…like French toast for example…skinny husband will get 10 little squares…and I will get 6…plus butter, of course and maple syrup.
- I still bake cookies and cakes and buy all sorts of delicious baked goods because my husband weighs 122 pounds…yes, that is exactly right…
- Occasionally, if I want…I will take a bite out of whatever I am giving him…and then get a popsicle out of the freezer.
- Christmas was hard this past year. But instead of eating 3 or 4 warm cookies right out of the oven…I had a half of a cookie. I had lost almost 3 pounds by then and I didn’t want to screw up…I knew I was on to something.
- I kept thinking of that children’s book, “If You Give A Mouse A Cookie.” I felt like, “If You Give Tina Half Of A Cookie…she’ll be happy!” And I was.
- I still go to Dairy Queen once a week and get a small chocolate sundae.
- I try to get to White Castle once a week where I order 2 sliders and a small REGULAR Coke…or McDonalds for a Filet-O-Fish sandwich and a small REGULAR Coke.
- That Coke is the only pop/soda I drink all week.
- I have never drank diet pop/soda…I tasted it once…
- I cook with butter. I cook with whole milk. I love meat…red, lovely meat. AND I LOVE GRAVY…as previously mentioned. I like chicken too…in case you wondered…with barbecue sauce or gravy, of course.
- I never eat anything labeled “lite” “diet” “fat-free” or my favorite…”tastes awful but it only has 3 calories”…kidding on the last one.
- I love potatoes in any form.
- I seldom eat breakfast. I just have coffee with sugar, no cream
- But…I almost always have a good lunch. Sandwiches made with ONE slice of white bread…tuna, chicken, ham, egg salad or peanut butter. I always use Mayo. I love Mayo…full strength…not lite. There is always cheese on my lunch plate because I love cheese. Grapes and strawberries are also there. And then I add 3 crackers. My current favorites are Breton Originals…and Better Cheddars.
- If I do feel like breakfast, I will have a small can of tomato juice or an egg fried in butter.
- We do not eat out a lot but when we do…I just leave food on my plate if the portion is too large.
- IMPORTANT! Do not go to bed hungry! Every night I read before I go to sleep so I have 3 or 4 crackers and 5 potato chips…and 3 LUDEN’S cough drops.
- Odd little observation: Before I began this bedtime snack ritual, I used to have a little acid reflux. It was really bothersome. But now I never have it…go figure.
- I NEVER deny myself anything because with this plan…I don’t have to. Except excess…I deny myself excess…that’s fair to say.
- I eat everything and anything…I just eat less.
So…that’s the “eating” part of my weight-loss process.
I know it is pretty simple but it really worked and obviously is still working since I just lost more weight yesterday!
P.S. I am never hungry (except before dinner and, really, who isn’t) and I am so very satisfied…
The “Walk A Little Every Day” part comes tomorrow.
It really is amazing how quickly you can amass over 5,000 steps in a single day…which is my goal…not always achieved…but nevertheless…my goal.
- As I have said, I am 75 and recently bought one of those walkers with all the bells and whistles. I use this when I go walking distances or if I am going to walk for more than 30 minutes or if I am going to walk to the grocery store.
- I especially like the seat feature in that I can always find shade in the summer and warm sun in the winter. The little basket is a great place to put small purchases and toss in water, a sandwich your cell, etc.
- I always walk down to the lobby to get the mail and packages.
- I sometimes just walk down to the lobby…for no reason…not even the reason that “it is good for me”. Hmmm…I think there’s a story there…
- When I shop at a large grocery store, I always take a cart even if I am not buying a lot of items because I feel more comfortable…and then I can also walk down a couple of extra aisles…browsing as I go.
- I always park a small distance away from the store entrance when I am out shopping. Those few extra steps really make a difference.
- I am not trying to impress anyone with my walking…distance matters nothing to me other than the simple calculation of how far I have walked on a particular day. I never talk about my walking…or ‘not walking’ for that matter.
- We live on the ground floor and I always walk up the stairs from our parking spot in the underground garage after I have been out.
- If I have a couple of light bags, I will carry them up with me. Skinny husband will bring up the heavier bags with a grocery cart and use the elevator.
- I take naps 2 or 3 times a week. I have lunch in bed, read my book and then sleep for an hour or so. Pure pleasure.
- I never do Yoga nor will I. Too old…no matter what they say…75 is 75. Walking is the best. I did Tai Chi for a year a long time ago…but that was enough.
- I got a Fitbit for my husband but I use it mostly and I average about 5,000 steps a day. I have done 11,000 on some days and I have also done 700. It’s no big deal. It’s like a watch that does a little bit more…there for my convenience to see what’s up.
- I DO NO FORMAL EXERCISING! Don’t even ask if I swim…
- But I am very active and I can feel it if I have sat too long…maybe pouring over the morning newspaper…and it feels crummy. That old adage, “Use it or lose it” really does apply to us oldies…and to everyone…actually.
Nike says, “Just do it.” I say…”Just move it…” It’s the best thing anyone can do at any age.