A note before I begin: I’ve been poking around “weight-loss” and “dieting” blogs and I found out that a lot of people suggest that “just eating less” won’t do it…you have to do a lot of other stuff to lose weight…plus you are going to be hungry and not feel satisfied. Here is what I say: Do you want to lose weight or not? Okay, I’m done.
- I love to cook, so I wasn’t going to stop cooking my fantastic food and buy crap “diet food”. So…I just put a little less of everything on my plate…every single night…except when I made pizza…or we had pizza delivered. For every rule there should be one exception and this is the one I’m making. I think this equals god mental health…I think. I also think I really love pizza.
- I love sugar with my coffee…so I just put a little less in my cup.
- When my beloved furry friend, LuLu the Cat, died in 2015…I started to have a whole Hershey bar…every night after dinner for dessert. I stopped doing that.
- I have 1/2 to 1 whole can of 3.2 beer with my dinner every night. (NOT Lite.)
- I stopped making popcorn with butter every night. Now I have it once a week. At first it was really hard but then I discovered popsicles! I have 2 (halves) after dinner every night.
- I really look at my plate when I am putting food on it. I mean…really look at it. I now know exactly when I should stop ladling the gravy over my mashed potatoes…about 2 ladles does it.
- If we are eating a food that has pieces…like French toast for example…skinny husband will get 10 little squares…and I will get 6…plus butter, of course and maple syrup.
- I still bake cookies and cakes and buy all sorts of delicious baked goods because my husband weighs 122 pounds…yes, that is exactly right…
- Occasionally, if I want…I will take a bite out of whatever I am giving him…and then get a popsicle out of the freezer.
- Christmas was hard this past year. But instead of eating 3 or 4 warm cookies right out of the oven…I had a half of a cookie. I had lost almost 3 pounds by then and I didn’t want to screw up…I knew I was on to something.
- I kept thinking of that children’s book, “If You Give A Mouse A Cookie.” I felt like, “If You Give Tina Half Of A Cookie…she’ll be happy!” And I was.
- I still go to Dairy Queen once a week and get a small chocolate sundae.
- I try to get to White Castle once a week where I order 2 sliders and a small REGULAR Coke…or McDonalds for a Filet-O-Fish sandwich and a small REGULAR Coke.
- That Coke is the only pop/soda I drink all week.
- I have never drank diet pop/soda…I tasted it once…
- I cook with butter. I cook with whole milk. I love meat…red, lovely meat. AND I LOVE GRAVY…as previously mentioned. I like chicken too…in case you wondered…with barbecue sauce or gravy, of course.
- I never eat anything labeled “lite” “diet” “fat-free” or my favorite…”tastes awful but it only has 3 calories”…kidding on the last one.
- I love potatoes in any form.
- I seldom eat breakfast. I just have coffee with sugar, no cream
- But…I almost always have a good lunch. Sandwiches made with ONE slice of white bread…tuna, chicken, ham, egg salad or peanut butter. I always use Mayo. I love Mayo…full strength…not lite. There is always cheese on my lunch plate because I love cheese. Grapes and strawberries are also there. And then I add 3 crackers. My current favorites are Breton Originals…and Better Cheddars.
- If I do feel like breakfast, I will have a small can of tomato juice or an egg fried in butter.
- We do not eat out a lot but when we do…I just leave food on my plate if the portion is too large.
- IMPORTANT! Do not go to bed hungry! Every night I read before I go to sleep so I have 3 or 4 crackers and 5 potato chips…and 3 LUDEN’S cough drops.
- Odd little observation: Before I began this bedtime snack ritual, I used to have a little acid reflux. It was really bothersome. But now I never have it…go figure.
- I NEVER deny myself anything because with this plan…I don’t have to. Except excess…I deny myself excess…that’s fair to say.
- I eat everything and anything…I just eat less.
So…that’s the “eating” part of my weight-loss process.
I know it is pretty simple but it really worked and obviously is still working since I just lost more weight yesterday!
P.S. I am never hungry (except before dinner and, really, who isn’t) and I am so very satisfied…
The “Walk A Little Every Day” part comes tomorrow.