It really is amazing how quickly you can amass over 5,000 steps in a single day…which is my goal…not always achieved…but nevertheless…my goal.
- As I have said, I am 75 and recently bought one of those walkers with all the bells and whistles. I use this when I go walking distances or if I am going to walk for more than 30 minutes or if I am going to walk to the grocery store.
- I especially like the seat feature in that I can always find shade in the summer and warm sun in the winter. The little basket is a great place to put small purchases and toss in water, a sandwich your cell, etc.
- I always walk down to the lobby to get the mail and packages.
- I sometimes just walk down to the lobby…for no reason…not even the reason that “it is good for me”. Hmmm…I think there’s a story there…
- When I shop at a large grocery store, I always take a cart even if I am not buying a lot of items because I feel more comfortable…and then I can also walk down a couple of extra aisles…browsing as I go.
- I always park a small distance away from the store entrance when I am out shopping. Those few extra steps really make a difference.
- I am not trying to impress anyone with my walking…distance matters nothing to me other than the simple calculation of how far I have walked on a particular day. I never talk about my walking…or ‘not walking’ for that matter.
- We live on the ground floor and I always walk up the stairs from our parking spot in the underground garage after I have been out.
- If I have a couple of light bags, I will carry them up with me. Skinny husband will bring up the heavier bags with a grocery cart and use the elevator.
- I take naps 2 or 3 times a week. I have lunch in bed, read my book and then sleep for an hour or so. Pure pleasure.
- I never do Yoga nor will I. Too old…no matter what they say…75 is 75. Walking is the best. I did Tai Chi for a year a long time ago…but that was enough.
- I got a Fitbit for my husband but I use it mostly and I average about 5,000 steps a day. I have done 11,000 on some days and I have also done 700. It’s no big deal. It’s like a watch that does a little bit more…there for my convenience to see what’s up.
- I DO NO FORMAL EXERCISING! Don’t even ask if I swim…
- But I am very active and I can feel it if I have sat too long…maybe pouring over the morning newspaper…and it feels crummy. That old adage, “Use it or lose it” really does apply to us oldies…and to everyone…actually.
Nike says, “Just do it.” I say…”Just move it…” It’s the best thing anyone can do at any age.